SADLER FAMILY

SADLER FAMILY

Monday, June 30, 2008

Boulder





We got back last week from our annual trip to Boulder Mountain. If you have never heard of this amazing place, I am happy. Quite frankly, I would like to keep it a secret.
Although it is near the town of Torrey, it is worlds away from civilization. See, the Sadlers don't do the sissy campground thing. We rough it. In trailers. With generators. No pansies here. It really is an escape. No cell phones. No computers. No responsibilities. It is one of the most relaxing vacations you can take.
Dan and his family have been going to Boulder for about 25 years now. You can imagine that there are some traditions that have been put into place in that amount of time. One of them is the trip to the waterfall in Capitol Reef. This has always been one of the things I have really looked forward to. However I found out this year that most of the people on the trip only go there for their kids/grandkids. I was SHOCKED. How can that not be fun? Killjoys - the bunch of 'em.
After the trip to the waterfall we go to this little podunk eatery to get ice cream cones. My father-in-law is going to kill me for this, but I will risk it. One of the memories I have of this place is of my mother-in-law telling him that he needed to buy all of us ice cream. He would concede but not without his frustrated "growl" (those of you who know him know the sound I am talking about) to show us all that he didn't like the idea too much. He has come a long way in this department, though. His favorite saying used to be "take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves." (**Also one of Dan's favorite pieces of advice. I enjoy hearing it more than you will know.) But he is less frugal now and enjoys life a lot more.
By far my favorite part of the trip is the time spent at the campfire. Everyone is together and it is just a great way to end the day. Some fine stories have been told at that fire. And the songs. Oh the songs. I don't want to brag, but if you know the Sadlers, you know that we have some beautiful singing voices. When we get together it is like a choir of angels reaching forth to heaven above.
I think most people would agree that Dan's cousin Steve is the best storyteller there. He can make even the most mundane story come to life. He seems to have some of the most interesting and ironic things happen to him. Poor, poor, Steve. I appreciate the laughs. Even if it is at his expense.
So another great year complete with terrific memories comes to a close. I wish you could join us next year. But you are not invited. Consider it my contribution to the preservation of the Earth's natural resources. All of those people up on the same mountain? Just not a great idea.
Hey. Check back soon to see some photos. I am still working on the best way to post them.

2 comments:

The Hansen Clan said...

It sounds like such a fun trip - I cannot wait to see the photos!

Neely said...

Tiff, We enjoyed so much having you guys back up there with us! I know it was hard for you guys but we all felt the lose without Aunt Nancy there too and when all her kids quit going, it made the lose much worse! Also....thanks for not disclosing the location! We were going to hate having to kick you out of the family for tellin! ;)