SADLER FAMILY

SADLER FAMILY

Saturday, August 15, 2009

It Was Bound to Happen

It's true people. Don't be a naysayer. Listen to those around you. Your kids grow up WAY too fast.
The girlies started Kindergarten a few weeks ago. As most of you reading this know, I have been dreading this day for a while now. I have heard some of the moms talk about how excited they were to have their kids in school. So I kept wondering why I was seemingly the only one who was struggling. I came to the conclusion that it is because they are twins.
One of the "cons" of having twins is that they generally reach the big milestones in life at the same time. That means when they go to school, I don't have any more "babies." Conversely, it also means that diapers, teething, and potty training are also done at the same time. Color me lucky.
So the big day came and we were prepared. I had spent the better part of Sunday night ironing clothes and putting outfits together so they could experience some autonomy by picking out what they wanted to wear everyday. And, because I can't relinquish all of the control yet, I could still make sure they matched. Backpacks were out and loaded. I had gotten up early to get ready so as not to embarrass Madelyn when I walked her and Maryn into their first day of class. I had convinced myself, erroneously, that the morning would go off without a hitch.
After Dan and I woke the girls and gave them a few minutes to adjust, I broke the news to them that I wanted to curl their hair so it could look "extra special" for the momentous occasion. I got the normal contention from Maryn but after some manipulation, she conceded. However, this was apparently THE day that Madelyn wanted to see where her boundaries were.
Now I love my little Maddie more than life itself, and I am sure her independent spirit is going to serve her well someday, but DAMN that girl is spunky.
Let me tell you, she argued and moaned and whined and argued and folded arms and stomped feet and, did I mention, argued? And, although I didn't throw the same tantrum, apparently I was determined to stand my ground as well. As a sidenote, I have been asked by nearly everyone I have told this story to why I insisted to fight that battle. And I wish I had a really good answer. Let's just say, I guess we know where Madelyn gets it from.
So after much ado about nothing (in retrospect) we left for school and arrived - what a way to make a first impression-late. And perhaps it was a blessing in disguise because I was SO mad at them for fighting with me that I was actually really happy they were going to school!
But I can say that things have gotten better. We have all relented a bit and have gotten used to the schedule. And I do miss them when they are gone. This house gets pretty quiet without them.
I have always believed that a parents job is to prepare their children to eventually not need them. And, although their independence is hard to take sometimes, I am proud of who they are and I feel blessed to have had the past five years to be their mommy.
I wonder if they would like homeschooling?

P.S. Pictures to follow in the a.m.

7 comments:

Aimee Wilson said...

I loved your coffee entry. Various sundry orifices, eh? Haha.
I will go with you to get your nose pierced, and I will get my belly pierced and we will both be hip!

The Sadler Crew said...

It ain't gonna happen, Trixy. A giant "Hell NO" was the response to such inquiry.

Infinity_&_Beyond said...

well tiffany, heres my comment..i now know what adults mean when there kids have grown up so fast, i never understood that. I never understood how they could say youve grown up so fast, i mean i was still the saem cristelle, it was still me through out all the years, and i havent grown since the 6th grade so idk why adults would say that. but now looking back into my life, ive had a pretty good life. and it really has gone by to fast. i mean omgosh im a SENIOR in highschool now. it felt like yesturday that i was a freshman. and i also remember my first day of kindergarten. maddie and maryn are going to grow up SO ridiculously fast, just capture all the moments and cherish them. before you know it, highschool will be right around the corner. [i hate blinking]

Ali Mae said...

Hoozah! I've been checking your blog between batches of salsa and am thrilled to see you're writing again! Shame on me for not checking between July 17ish and now, I could have seen this good fortune sooner! I'd love to see you before Summer blows her last kisses. Bike ride?!

. said...

Oh how I love to read your blog... I just love you =) You can baby sit Mine and Danny's lil rug rat anytime you just want a baby for a day or 2! haha!!! She's not here yet but I'm sure Danny and I will love the time alone when it gets scarce! Can't wait to read about the girls' experience at school!

Anonymous said...

August 15th? Really? Come on Tiff. We need to hear from you more often than this...

Remember P.S. "pictures in the morning"? Wow.

The Sadler Crew said...

Dani! You got me. I need to post pics. I also have to write about our vacation San Diego in June? I think that was it. Our trip to CT., the girls birthday...UGH. I will get caught up! Thanks for still being interested in my blog!