SADLER FAMILY

SADLER FAMILY

Monday, March 23, 2009

Fun and Sporty - Girls Trip 2009

The past few days I have had the good fortune of spending an amazing time with my BFF, Emily. Every year for the past three years, we have gone on a girl's trip. The first year, we went to New York City. Plays, a 10K, food, subway rides, hauling suitcases through underground mazes, and shopping. Last year it was Viva Las Provo. Emily, in her VERY pregnant stage, did not want to be far from home. So, Provo was our destination. BYU Courgarettes dance performance, lots of Reece's peanut butter cups (Emily was eating for two and me, being the great friend I am, wanted to support her), and facials. Who says you can't have fun in Utah County? And, 2009 was Santa Monica.
Our flight left at 11:50. Which means our weekend of non-stop talking started at 10:45. And, we can talk. In fact, last year we were "shushed" by a member of the Jet Blue flight crew for talking during the safety instructions. Apparently they want you to listen more carefully when seated in an exit row. Killjoys.
We arrived at LAX and picked up our fun and sporty Mustang V6. Now that's what I'm talking about. Two chicks, L.A., Mustangs. Yeah baby. Party on, Garth. Party on, Wayne.
We drove "Fun and Sporty" to "Out of our League," also known as Le Merigot Marriot. When we arrived I asked where we might find guest parking. This was when I first realized we weren't in Kansas anymore. "Ma'am, we only offer valet parking." "Yes, yes, of course." "VALET parking is what I meant to say."
So off we went to find our room. The hotel was beautiful and the customer service was first-rate. Our personal attendant (this was what we deemed him, not necessarily what he called himself) was David. A nice gentleman who, unfortunately, lacked a quick wit. But we liked him anyway.
Our room was not quite ready so we headed out to find some lunch. We ate at a quaint little Italian restaurant that was infested with nats. O.K., not infested. But, there were quite a few flying around. But the food was good and the company even better. After an evening of face masks, candy and T.V., we hit the sack.
The next morning, we headed out to find breakfast. We happened upon a little restaurant called "Jinkey's." It was AWESOME. Delicious omelette's and yummo hashbrowns. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Emily has wanted to cut her hair since girl's trip 2007. So, I decided this was a great opportunity. We headed to a trendy little salon and had a consultation with a fun stylist named Cherry. So you are not confused, it is not pronounced like the fruit, rather like Sherry. Or Shary. Or Sharri. You get the drift. Emily made an appointment for the next day.
We took in some street performances which, incidentally, I decided is my true calling in life. I also had my palm read as well as my tarot cards. The summation is thus; my chakras are blocked and my aura needs cleansing. Which I believe explains everything. After a nice dinner at CPK, we headed back to the hotel for candy, T.V., and an at-home facial. Are you seeing a trend here?
We rose bright and early on Saturday (O.K. not bright - or early) and headed out for another breakfast. If there is one thing that Em and I are good at, it is seeking out the culinary delights of any city. We had another fine feast at a cute little crepe restaurant that morning. Then it was time to go to Em's hair appointment. Can I tell you that I was so excited for this momentous occasion that I hardly slept the night before? In we went and there they cut. And...it turned out SO cute. I think it was because she has an amazing occipital bone. Emily liked it too and she was lookin' trend-o-rific.
We decided to go to Sephora for a makeover after the cut. We got all smokey-eyed and glossy lipped. A word to the wise. If you live in Santa Monica (or any locale where you might find a Sephora close by) don't bother getting ready for work in the morning. And, whatever you do, don't waste your money on make-up. Turns out you can just walk in and use all of their samples and voila'! You are golden.
Sadly the weather was not great, so we didn't get in any ocean time, but we did get to take in the sights at Santa Monica Pier. Guess what those sights were? WELL....first, Emily's stardar (kind of like radar but different) spotted Kelly Preston. I must say that I really didn't believe it at first. So we continued to stalk her until I was sure. Hey, it's a free country. Then we saw Melissa from The Bachelor and Dancing with the Stars fame. She was with her new insurance salesman beau we appropriately named "State Farm." I can't believe we didn't snap a photo. We could have sold it to Star magazine and made ourselves millions. So much for giving people their privacy.
After star gazing, it was time for dinner. We ate at a Mexican restaurant where it happened to be social hour. Is it a coincidence that social hour started when we arrived? I think not. Em ordered a water and got it in a special kids cup. We barely saw our waitress throughout our dining experience. Apparently if you don't take advantage of the 2 for 1 margarita special, you don't matter. Take note.
Sadly it was now Sunday and our trip had come to an abrupt end. Time really does fly when you are having fun. We did some shopping, ate FABULOUS cupcakes and headed to the airport. Luckily we still had some time on the flight to chat. After all, we had only spent four days together. We sat next to this cute little college student who was probably thinking something along the lines of "I wonder if my mom acts this goofy when she is with her friends?" We ended the flight in tears of laughter due to a mom who embarrassed her teenage son.
I am so lucky to have such a wonderful friend. If you read my previous post about Emily, you know that she is one amazing gal. She truly makes me a better person just by being around her.
So, here's to slim, skinny and bikini ready 2010....
Love ya, Em.

3 comments:

Aimee Wilson said...

Dude, you don't even have to tell me about the joys of freeloading the crap out of Sephora.
Girl trips are the best, glad you recharged them batteries!

Aimee Wilson said...

p.s. where are the friggin' pics??

The Sadler Crew said...

Sadly, we didn't take pics. I do have pics of Emily's new do. Perhaps I should post them....