SADLER FAMILY

SADLER FAMILY

Monday, March 30, 2009

Spring Fling

For spring break from the college this year, we decided to take a family vacation. Since we had forgotten what the sun looked like, we decided to go to Zions and St. George. As it turned out our great friends, the Border's, were also escaping the gloom and doom and we were going to be there at the same time.
So a little sidebar to tell you about the Border's. First, they are amazing people. Dan used to work with Christopher at the Department of Public Safety. They also owned a computer consulting business together.
I heard about the Border's when Dan and I first met. The thing I remember the most is that Christopher's wife, Dawn, used to make these amazing dinners for Dan whenever he would go over to their house for work. Dan always talked about her food and I was nervous that when we got married he was going to have those same expectations of me!
We have spent some really great times together camping, and dining, and just hanging out. They love my girls and my girls think of them as family. As do we. They are good people. So I was excited that we were going to be able to spend some time together.
We drove down Friday afternoon after Dan got done with some "thing" called work. Apparently without it there is no vacation. Or home. Or food. Yada, yada.
Luckily, our girls are seasoned travelers and they do amazingly well on trips. We stopped along the way to gas up and get some treats (I got Dots and then cried for a half hour because my Dad loved them) and got back on the road.
Maryn and Madelyn entertained us the whole time with talk of their "friend" from China who is really rude. Apparently she always calls them for a sleepover not realizing the time difference and makes them feel bad because it is morning here. I have NO idea.
It was amazing to see all of the trees starting to bloom and green grass. We took a detour in La Verkin because I saw some houses that I wanted to live in. Can you imagine having Zions as the backdrop for your home? It was beautiful.
Madelyn has a natural (or is it dramatic?) appreciation for outdoor scenery. She is always the one to comment on rainbows or blue skies. So she kept commenting on how wonderful everything looked. They had their princess cell phone that takes pictures (again, imaginary) so they were snapping picturesque landscape photos all the way. In fact, they began fighting over who was getting to take the most pictures. I did mention that the camera was fake, right?
Once we got to the hotel, we realized the Border's room was right next door to ours. Dawn taught Maddie a secret knock that would let her know when we were awake in the morning and we all chatted about what we would do the next day. Then, we went to eat some dinner at the hotel restaurant. Our waitress had a very distinct accent and the girls were very curious to know where she was from. After much prodding (see whining) they convinced Dan to ask her. Apparently she is from Russia and just recently moved here. If you want my opinion - and I know you do because you are reading my blog - Dan wanted to talk to her. Let's just say she was "blessed" in the breast department.
We headed out the next morning for a hike in Zions. Everyone had talked about going on a few little hikes that the girls could do. Luckily the Borders had no agenda and they were fine to just spend time together. I have to tell you I was a bit leery of the girls ability to hike for more than a very short distance. But they were absolute troopers.
We hiked to Weeping Rock and then tackled all of the Emerald Pools. Although the day started out a little cold, it was perfect once we got going. Maryn and Madelyn made us all line up single file (ala Challenger Schools I am sure) and told us the importance of staying in that line. They are bossy little monsters. A trait I am SURE they get from the Sadler side. Because, if anyone knows me, you know I am not bossy at all. No, not me. Christopher and Chandler got out of line to hike a little faster which really irritated Madelyn. She said they were not allowed to hike with us if they couldn't follow the rules.
We ended the day with a little shopping where Christopher bought me this beautiful clay dish that I was admiring. It was so generous of him and I appreciated it so much. What a great guy.
They were staying in Zions and we had reservations in St. George so we had to say our goodbyes. Madelyn was so upset to learn that Dawn wasn't going to be able to swim with us.
We checked in and made our way to the room. I am always so happy to see the girls' reaction when we get to a hotel. They are so appreciative of every little amenity. It is funny, we have stayed in some very nice hotels but it seems the simpler the room, the more impressed they are.
On our agenda for the stay was swimming, swimming and more swimming. So after breakfast each day, that is exactly what we did.
The weather was absolutely amazing. It was so nice to feel the warmth of the sun and just enjoy being outside. The girls were able to practice their water skills and were feeling pretty confident by the end of the trip.
On our last day there we decided to take full advantage of our swim time. I told the girls we could swim, come back for a quick change of clothes and bathe when we got home. They were thrilled to have a little more time.
It was such a great trip and gave us just the time away we needed. Dan and I were amazed at how well the girls did. No fighting, no tantrums. They are definitely big girls now. And, although that is nice, it was an eye-opener. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by.
You gotta' love vacations.

1 comment:

The Hansen Clan said...

It sounds like a great trip! Those two crack me up! I also love to watch my girls at a hotel... they don't want to do anything but just play in the room or pool... simple pleasures :) Glad you had such a pleasant getaway! Miss you!